FAQ: Character Creation
Click on a heading to expand the information.
How much do Earth fairies know about Shaman?
That depends largely on how reclusive the fairies were on Earth. Shaman was first created in 1918 Earth time and has since become one of the most famous worlds to Earth fairies, so certainly most of the elite and anyone who works in a fairy-related job (for the Council of Originals, the Alliance, the diplomatic triad, the Divine Scribes or as a fairy priest) would probably know about it. Fairies from tiny villages who don't get out much are probably less likely to know. It's ultimately down to you, and what you think is reasonable based on your character's individual personality and history. Fairies who know of Shaman should know that Aura created it; how much more they know is, again, up to you.
Does my character have to choose to come here?
Nope! How your character arrives in Shaman is entirely up to you. They can choose to step over, or be swept here in some crazy fabulous way. Whatever you like.
Can I bring over a character from another site as they are?
These are decided on a case-by-case basis by the admins. Characters without any magical powers or special familiars are always accepted; those with advanced magic or mythical familiars will need to be checked by an admin first. If your character isn't approved 'as is', the admins will always give you a way to build the character up how you'd like them!
How do I create a lord/lady/other noble?
While we love having 'veteran' characters and always try to please people as much as possible, we don't, at this time, have a policy of accepting characters with advanced magic etc gained on previous sites. We prefer to see Shaman as a fresh start for all characters, since that is what the planet was designed to be IC. If this presents a serious barrier to your enjoyment, please do speak to an admin (no matter how new you are) and we will do our best to help you out.
Easy! After joining your character, simply post on the updates board to get them added to the Castle page as a noble. Remember to give the title (lord/lady/dame etc) you want your character to have!
Can I make a deity?
Can I play a demigod?
At the moment, we do not have any vacancies to play any of the original fairies. However, you absolutely can create a deified character!
- You have total freedom to create a character in a made-up world who was deified in their home world.
- Powerful ordinary fairies, especially Immortal Ones, are sometimes deified. To find out more about Immortal Ones, click here. Anyone can create an Immortal One!
- If you play a demigod, they can be deified.
To add a character to our list of deified beings, simply post on the updates board. Deified beings can be viewed on the Religion
Demigods are the offspring of an original fairy and an ordinary fairy. There are usually some demigods available on the Adoptions board
if you are interested in playing an existing demigod. The majority of them are children of Mallos.
If you are interested in creating a new demigod child, speak to the player of the original fairies (Merlin or Aspelta). We'll do our best to accommodate you, although it may not be possible within current character timeframes.
FAQ: Currency & Progress
Click on a heading to expand the information.
What are points and how do I get them?
What are doubloons and how do I get them?
Points go to individual characters and are used to raise a character's level. Once issued to a character, they are not tradeable. Points tend not to be referred to in-character. They can be obtained in the following ways.
- When you join a character, providing a sample post will guarantee you between 5 and 25 points.
- At the end of every month, you can claim +10 points for each character you posted that month.
- If your characters reproduce, both the parents and the offspring receive some points.
- You can earn points for being the first to reply to an 'any' post (check Chat to see how much).
- Every time you post an advertisement for Shaman on another site, you can claim +1 point.
- If you place a link back to Shaman on your webpage, you can claim +15 points. If you place a link back to any of Shaman's affiliates on your webpage, you can claim +5 points. (Links on DeviantART accounts or sim pet games count, as long as it's not against the site's rules.)
- OOC competitions occasionally appear on the chat board, and you nearly always get points just for entering.
- Assorted prizes can be won for responding to a spirit or deity quest.
- Points can be attained in a variety of ways on the Impetus Board under Play.
- Points can be bartered for with the deities. Deities usually demand something in return for their services - often payment or a quest.
- Free points are sometimes posted on the News board, so be sure to check it regularly.
- Point bundles can be purchased with doubloons from the shop. A point bundle grants a random amount of points to your character.
- Points can be given out on the news board if a character has been particularly active, if a player has been particularly helpful or if they wrote a particularly incredible post. "Expression of talent" points can be given for sharing any kind of talent with the general community - music, art, writing, anything! These are given out on the News board and are the admins' way of thanking players for being fantastic.
What are coins and how do I get them?
Doubloons are the main in-character currency. They can be used to purchase any item from the shop under OOC, including powers and traits for characters. Any doubloons you earn on the game go directly to your player bank rather than to individual characters, and you can purchase items for any character that way. Doubloons are recognised by the $ symbol after the amount, e.g. 1,000$. They can be obtained in the following ways.
- At the end of each month, you can claim 50$ for every 5 posts you have completed that month (so 10 posts in a month = 100$) with any characters.
- OOC competitions occasionally appear on the chat board with doubloon prizes.
- Assorted prizes can be won for responding to a spirit. There are multiple spirits which sometimes post on the IC boards with quests for characters to complete.
- Doubloons can be earned on the Impetus board in a variety of ways.
- Doubloons can be bartered for with the deities in the Pantheon, under Adventure. Deities usually demand something in return for their services - often payment or a quest.
- Doubloons can be gained by selling unwanted things to other players or to the collector at the trading post, under OOC > Shops. Rare items (given out in giveaways, the advent, by spirits, etc) go up in value over time, so you can often hoard them and sell them on for a decent profit.
How can I get something specific that I want?
Coins are a retired currency. That means that there are still some in circulation, but no new ones are being issued. A coin can be used to:
- give your character one power worth up to 2,000$.
- remove a defect, psychological disorder, trait or power for your character.
- obtain an ordinary familiar.
- change a familiar's form.
- obtain a physical trait (e.g. green skin, cat's tail) worth up to 2,000$.
- to choose name, sex and appearance of a baby when reproducing.
Coins can be sold for the value of 2,000$.
You have two options - to proceed IC or OOC. To proceed OOC, ask an admin. Admins can create quests for you, tailor prizes to suit your needs, or might even gift you things from their own banks if they're feeling generous! To proceed IC, have your character speak with a deity. Deities can be very unpredictable but can provide a faster route than the OOC one! You can contact a deity on any board. Simply post their name in your subject line (you may want to drop a note on the Chat board to say you've done so, as well!)
Which deity is the best to speak to?
We have a range of deities, and not all of them as as generous as others.
- Tsi is the leader of the deities and rarely has time to deal with individual requests. He will make time for anyone who requests to see him specifically, but will rarely show up to an 'any deity' post. He is universally kind and generous, but rarely gives out freebies as he has to be seen to be following the rules.
- Zed is a good-natured god who favours good, righteous people. He is especially generous with commoners. Zed is very busy so will rarely reply to an 'any deity' post.
- Lorraine is a haughty, callous goddess who favours the upper class and any troublemakers. She derives a wicked pleasure from helping fairies to uncover their dark side.
- Mallos is a volatile god who favours children, family and anyone who can hold their own against him (in terms of wit and guts). He's not easy to impress but if you can do it, he is much more cooperative. Mallos is a known trickster and his deals often backfire on those who strike them with him.
- Allianah is a strict goddess who favours female warriors. She tends to be unfavourable towards men in general, and has little time for women she doesn't see as strong and independent.
- Khasekhemwy is a nervous god who favours kindly and intellectual people. He is anxious around people in general but can carry on a conversation enthusiastically with an academic.
- Charlton is a generous god who enjoys bestowing gifts upon fairies and helping them out where he can. However, Charlton rarely visits Shaman and will not respond to an 'any deity' post. He has also renounced his godliness and occasionally refuses to help on this basis.
- Rhaegar is an unstable hot-headed God. He favours warriors and the lost. Your reception will depend on the kind of mood he's in but he'll be a lot more cooperative if you come bearing an emerald leaf. He favours physical trials and combat tests.
- Xephyr is played by Equilibrium, who sadly does not have much time to play Shaman anymore. He is currently out of action!
- Gwythr is Shaman's big bad guy. He has been stripped of his magic and lives on a planet far from Shaman, so he is effectively out of action. However, if you are desperate to speak or plot with him, contact Aspelta and we may be able to arrange something!
- Aura is a deceased deity who now serves as the "Guide of the Dead" (the Grim Reaper in Shaman's lore). She can be summoned by any medium or by one of Death's Lieutenants. Aura's magic is more restricted than the other deities but she will usually help anyone she can if she's able to.
FAQ: Who is...?
Click on a heading to expand the information.
The oldest original fairy and the goddess who created Shaman. Aura died in 2012 and returned in 2016 as the Guide of the Dead (Grim Reaper). Click to find out more
Aura's phoenix familiar. Anneliese died in 2010 and has not returned since.
An original fairy and goddess of Nubia. Allianah is currently alive and serves as the Guardian of the Council of Originals and the leader of the Alliance. Click to find out more
The former King of Shaman who was murdered in 2017 by Mordred.
An original fairy and god of Canada. Caspian was murdered by an unknown adversary in 2009 and has not returned since.
An original fairy and god of the USA. Charlton is currently alive and is a member of the Council of Originals. Click to find out more
Wife of Mordred and current Queen of Shaman.
An original fairy and god of Italy. Gwythr was the villain of Shaman for a long time and the instigator of the Shaman civil war. His name is still used to frighten children. He is currently alive and suspended from Council duties, living under house arrest on the planet Shyllipa Major. Click to find out more
An original fairy and god of Palestine. Khasekhemwy is currently alive and serving as the Scribe of the Council of Originals and leader of the Divine Scribes. Click to find out more
An original fairy and goddess of Russia. Lorraine is currently alive and serving as Interspecies Ambassador and leader of the Interspecies Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Click to find out more
An original fairy and god of Spain. Mallos is currently alive and a member of the Council of Originals. He is also related to the royal family. Click to find out more
The black cat (Siamese cross) familiar of Mallos. Sperantia is currently alive.
The current King of Shaman and the brother of the former King, Arthur. Mordred usurped the throne after he committed regicide but this isn't widely known so most characters consider him the rightful king. It is believed that Tristan, Arthur's son and heir, was the murderer. Mordred is also a son of Mallos.
The sister of King Mordred and double agent. Morgana is also a daughter of Mallos.
An Ancient Creature who appears in fairy form once an IRL year to host the Omniety competition, Shaman's biggest annual event.
An original fairy and god of Scandinavia. Rhaegar is currently alive, living permanently on Shaman, and is a member of the Council of Originals. Click to find out more
Could refer to two people.
(1) Original fairy, the first one to die. Thoth the original died in prehistoric times before the formation of the Council of Originals.
(2) Demigod, son of Aura who lives on Shaman.
The son of the late King Arthur and rightful heir to the throne. Currently an outlaw living in Kingswood Forest. It is widely believed that Tristan murdered his father in an attempt to usurp the throne, but it was actually Mordred. Tristan is also a grandson of Mallos.
An original fairy and god of China. Tsi is currently alive and serving as the Chairman of the Council of Originals. Click to find out more
The leviathan-dragon familiar of Tsi. Therait is non-sentient and lies dormant under the sea the majority of the time. When he awoke in V13, he unleashed a terrible flood across Shaman.
Original fairy and god of Brazil. Zed is currently alive and serving as a member of the Council of Originals, the Intergalactic Ambassador, leader of the Office of Intergalactic Affairs, and High Judge of the Star Chamber. Click to find out more
Original fairy played by former owner Equilibrium, who has since left the site.